Visit Spots /

In Rajpipla

Vadia Palace

The finest Palace of Rajpipla is the Indrajeet Padmini Mahal, better known as Vadia Palace as the entire village of Vadia was demolished and re-located to build and complete this palace in the 1940s. The palace was set in a 151 acre estate, with well laid out formal gardens and mango-and-lime orchards, and the building itself covered almost 4320 sq yards. It was financed by Maharajah Vijay Sinhji's winnings at the Epsom Derby and cost around Rs.50 lakhs(Rs.5 million). The building was designed by Shapoorji Curimbouy & co in a predominantly Indo-Saracenic style, with a few western features. Inside, however, retains much of the European character one would expect from a Palace erected during the 1930s and '40s. Much of the flooring is in Italian marble of different colors arranged in various geometric patterns, such that no two rooms or galleries are floored alike. At the rear is a marble fountain with intricate patterns matching the flooring of the gallery in which it is situated. Over 1000 wooden doors and windows of the Palace were made from Burma teak. The Palace was centrally air-conditioned, with ducts still visible on the walls. It had 11 bedrooms-9 distributed in the 2 storey of the Palace, a sub-terrenean chamber and a suite facing the terrace-all with baths attached.The ballroom had a Burma teak flooring, the sitting room was done up in wall paintings of dancing girls, the bar room muralled with drunk monkeys, the drawing room had beautiful paintings of events from lord Krishna's lifetime, the prayer room has a series of wall and ceiling frescoes of Hindu deities, the reception behind the portico is painted with floral and faunal subjects. As at the Natvar Niwas, the painting was done by Italian artist Wali, yet the quality of Indian devotional paintings and other local themes is flaw-less. The drawing room was illuminated with lights concealed in marble globes, which were filled also with exotic perfumes. A water circulation system revolved the marble globes such that the scent of the perfumes spread in the hall. Elevator took the royal family and their guests up to the first floor and on the terrace The kitchen was in an out-house, partially submerged so that it did not spoil the view from the galleries or from the intricate rear facade of the Palace. A 30 yard long insulated passage, took food in trolleys to the pantry in the main building. The Palace is now the Forest Ranger's College and an Ayurvedic (Pharmacy) College Other Palaces of Rajpipla are now educational and government institutions. The Summer Villa Guest House (now Arts and Science College) was constructed at Rajpipla by Maharaja Vijay Singhji in around 1930's specially to provide star-rated accommodation for his European guests, It has two spiral wooden staircases, leading to upper floor. The symmetrical architecture with arches on both sides of passages, Italian marble flooring and plaster of Paris false ceilings still exists.

Rajvant palace Resort

The entire Complex is about 8 acres on elevated land. From the main gate entrance, there are trees and hedge on both sides of half km road (with divider in between) ending near a cannon in centre and a circular fountain facing the Vijayraj Palace Hotel. On both sides of the road are well laid out lawns.There are out-houses for different category of room guests, and the Rajvant Palace is adjoining. The Vijay Palace was built by Maharaja Chhatra Singhji for his son Yuvraj Vijay Sinhji in 1910 AD., before he ascended the throne in September 1915. The Palace has a Victorianarchitecture with classical colonnaded semi-circular portico as the entrance, Corinthian pillars, Gothic arches, European domes and views of the river at the rear. The 7 acre grounds have been landscaped professionally into formal gardens. Crested arch doors lead to a marble floored hall, that now serves as the reception of the hotel. The drawing room has retained it's original character with European settees, elegant tables. On royal portraits and black metal European statutory. The teak wood floor, banqueting hall next to the drawing room, has a long wooden 24 seated dining table, on the wall are historic photographs of Maharajah Vijay Sinhji's exploits of the races and polo.A number of old and new decorative objects and in brass, marble and ceramics decorate the hall. A portable screen partition separates the banqueting and drawing areas, which is removed when the palace is chartered for corporate conferences. It is only 5 min drive on road from our Hotel Rajpath.

HARSIDDHI MATAJI TEMPLE

The idol of Harsiddhi Mataji with a sindoor face was brought on foot by Maharana Verisalji (I) to Rajpipla from Ujjain (a holy place, now in Madhya Pradesh) in 1657. It is believed that the Ruler had a dream whereby while carrying the idol if he looks back at whichever place then it is to be installed there itself. So presently the temple is built at the same place and the Goddess is the deity of the Rajpipla Royal Family, Although devotees come throughout the year, but especially during Navaratri Festival, thousands of worshippers visit the Temple for prayers where an amusement fair is also held. It is only the 5 min Walking distance from our hotel Rajpath location.

MAHARAJA VIJAY SINHJI

When Maharaja Vijay Singhji expired in 1951, it was proposed to have a monument in his memory at Rajpipla, befitting to his status and personality. As he was fond of horses and won many Trophies in Polo and Races in India and abroad, so it was decided to collect a fund and then his bronze statue on horse back was made and installed at the entry point of Rajpipla town in 1953. Everyday many people who wish something take a vow and when it is fulfilled, then they break a coconut and garland the Statue.It is only the 5 min Walking distance from our hotel Rajpath location.

VICTORIA GATE

The Victoria Memorial Gate was constructed by Maharana Chhatra Singhji opposite the past Old Palace and the present S.T. Depot. This archway has the Statue of Queen Victoria on the top and it was to commemorate her rule as Empress of England and the Indian Empire.

Red Tower

The Victoria Memorial Gate was constructed by Maharana Chhatra Singhji opposite the past Old Palace and the present S.T. Depot. This archway has the Statue of Queen Victoria on the top and it was to commemorate her rule as Empress of England and the Indian Empire.